I saw this tubby beauty a few weeks ago for a STEAL (a steal, I tell you!) and I snatched her up as quick as a wink (unless you have trouble winking, in which case, probably faster).
The legs and top were what caught my eye. What I knew wouldn't work was the tacky door and boxy profile. I had a quick fix for a little weight-loss for this piece!
I [finally] inherited a jigsaw for Christmas last year and I'd been dying to try it out. I found some brand new blades on sale and set off to the basement for a remodel - quick as a jig (Bwahaha. Hahaha. Ha?)
Using the jigsaw, I cut out the side panels relatively quickly and easily. The door was easy to unscrew and remove.
I had to patch trim around the legs and lower shelf after I removed the panels. This was probably the most time consuming aspect of the project (well, maybe the stenciling took a while, too), as wood filler needs a couple of applications in deeper rivets.
I'm sorry I didn't take any process pictures of this project. I think I meant to, but then got distracted by the excitement of the jigsaw and the stencil work on the top. After the wood filler was dried and sanded, a couple quick coats of homemade chalk paint saw the bottom half of this piece ready to go.
I used a small angled paintbrush to paint multiple layers of colour on the top and then a foam stencil brush to stencil on the fleur-de-lis accents.
I finished it off with a couple of coats of varathane floor finish - my favourite - and she was looking good!
I had painted over the wood filler with an off-white homemade chalk paint, so when distressing, this colour came through on the decorative feet and legs. I liked how it tied into the check pattern on the table-top.
Now this barrel coffee table is much more sleek, modern and stylish - and no longer retro and dated!